Screen capture *without* Screen capture program [27]
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 10:46:37 UTC
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.

1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard

To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.

I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.

And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.

There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Linea Recta
2017-05-16 11:41:01 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
--
|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 12:22:05 UTC
Post by Linea Recta
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
I just wanna remind others that there are functions that do NOT need
freeware, shareware nor paid-ware. :)
Jerry Stuckle
2017-05-17 01:07:32 UTC
Post by Linea Recta
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
Only 20 years? Youngster! :)
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
==================
Rick C. Hodgin
2017-05-16 11:59:08 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
In programming, using C functions, you can also use SendMessage()
with the WM_PRINTCLIENT message to print the window contents into
your own HDC (device context), and then manipulate the bits however
you want.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/windows/127157/

In modern Windows (post-WinXP) you'll need to first attached to
the process, and obtain a few rights, then detach.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Steve Hayes
2017-05-16 17:27:44 UTC
On Tue, 16 May 2017 18:46:37 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
You can paste it anywhere - like IrvanView, or a word processing
program....
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Shadow
2017-05-16 18:25:50 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
You can paste it anywhere - like IrvanView, or a word processing
program....
We knew that BEFORE he posted his instructions the first time.
[27] is the number of times he's trolled with this exact post.
It was a response to a person that wanted freeware to capture
what was NOT visible, as in a browser when the page is too long to fit
the screen. Of course, PrintScreen won't do that.
PS he is crazy. Always has been. You must be new here.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 19:24:45 UTC
Post by Shadow
PS he is crazy. Always has been. You must be new here.
Should I take your comments if not commands seriously? We are NOT
business partners nor military affiliates. :)
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-05-17 04:59:45 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
I use Irfanview which would be free if I did not have to pay for
electricity.
Peter Jason
2017-05-17 21:53:41 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).

Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".

Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.

Done.

("Save as Image" if required)
Good Guy
2017-05-17 22:31:29 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
("Save as Image" if required)
What is wrong with the "Snipping Tool
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots>".
It is available in Windows 7 upwards and old habits needs to change.
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Peter Jason
2017-05-18 01:17:22 UTC
Post by Good Guy
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
("Save as Image" if required)
What is wrong with the "Snipping Tool
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots>".
It is available in Windows 7 upwards and old habits needs to change.
Too many steps for some uses.
eg from IE11 screen

1/ PrtSc
2/ PDF from clipboard (AcrobatX)
3/ Crop tool, to select area.
4/ CtrlS to save.

If downloading pages from a book, the "Acrobat save" allows subsequent
OCR and page consolidation ito a single monograph.
This is best for numerous repetitive tasks.
Lucifer Morningstar
Better than that use Irfanview crop tool to select the desired area.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-18 10:09:40 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
Paint is distributed with all copies of Window$. Why bother with PDF?
Chad
2017-05-22 00:01:13 UTC
Wow. I think I learned this during the first week of my Introduction to Computer Programming class back in 2001.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-27 13:52:06 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
("Save as Image" if required)
My keyboard doesn't have a printscreen button. I use "snipping tool" which is free with windows and already installed.
--
Sky have just won the rights to screen the first World Origami Championships from Tokyo.
Unfortunately it's only available on Paper View.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-27 14:02:18 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
My keyboard doesn't have a printscreen button. I use "snipping tool"
which is free with windows and already installed.
No Fn Button for special function?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-27 14:11:12 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
My keyboard doesn't have a printscreen button. I use "snipping tool"
which is free with windows and already installed.
No Fn Button for special function?
It's a mini keyboard - I bought one without a numpad on the side, because I'm right handed, which means my mouse wants to be where the numpad is. Strangely, left handed keyboards (which are very rare and expensive) have the numpad on the left, which is more suited to people who use the mouse with their right hand.

Anyway, it has a lot less keys. Home and end are accessed by pressing function left or function right. But printscreen is missing altogether. It's the only key I've not managed to find anywhere.

"CTRL-End" is difficult, I have to press CTRL, Fn, and Right. But I have to remember to press Fn first, or it ignores me and I get CTRL-Right.
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics." - Fletcher Knebel
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-27 15:10:23 UTC
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/screencap-dont-button-prnt-scrn-77266.html
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-27 15:13:51 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
My keyboard doesn't have a printscreen button. I use "snipping tool"
which is free with windows and already installed.
No Fn Button for special function?
It's a mini keyboard - I bought one without a numpad on the side,
because I'm right handed, which means my mouse wants to be where the
numpad is. Strangely, left handed keyboards (which are very rare and
expensive) have the numpad on the left, which is more suited to people
who use the mouse with their right hand.
Anyway, it has a lot less keys. Home and end are accessed by pressing
function left or function right. But printscreen is missing
altogether. It's the only key I've not managed to find anywhere.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/screencap-dont-button-prnt-scrn-77266.html
I know, I use the snipping tool as in his first suggestion.
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-27 16:05:00 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I know, I use the snipping tool as in his first suggestion.
I think you could also define a macro key at Window$ level for
Print-Screen. I haven't figured out the Google keywords ... :)
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-09-27 16:47:24 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I know, I use the snipping tool as in his first suggestion.
I think you could also define a macro key at Window$ level for
Print-Screen. I haven't figured out the Google keywords ... :)
I could program autohotkey to do it (I use it for a couple of other things). But it's not much hassle to click the start button, type "snip", then use that.
FIGHT BACK! Fill out your tax forms with Roman numerals.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-27 16:52:48 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I could program autohotkey to do it (I use it for a couple of other
things). But it's not much hassle to click the start button, type
"snip", then use that.
I meant not using any keyboard macro tools. Anyway, find out later. :)