Screen capture *without* Screen capture program [27]
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 10:46:37 UTC
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.

1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard

To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.

I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.

And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.

There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Linea Recta
2017-05-16 11:41:01 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
--
|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 12:22:05 UTC
Post by Linea Recta
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
I just wanna remind others that there are functions that do NOT need
freeware, shareware nor paid-ware. :)
Jerry Stuckle
2017-05-17 01:07:32 UTC
Post by Linea Recta
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
Wow! Did you discover this recently?
I do it that way for about 20 years...
Only 20 years? Youngster! :)
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
==================
Rick C. Hodgin
2017-05-16 11:59:08 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
In programming, using C functions, you can also use SendMessage()
with the WM_PRINTCLIENT message to print the window contents into
your own HDC (device context), and then manipulate the bits however
you want.

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/windows/127157/

In modern Windows (post-WinXP) you'll need to first attached to
the process, and obtain a few rights, then detach.

Thank you,
Rick C. Hodgin
Steve Hayes
2017-05-16 17:27:44 UTC
On Tue, 16 May 2017 18:46:37 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
You can paste it anywhere - like IrvanView, or a word processing
program....
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Shadow
2017-05-16 18:25:50 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
You can paste it anywhere - like IrvanView, or a word processing
program....
We knew that BEFORE he posted his instructions the first time.
[27] is the number of times he's trolled with this exact post.
It was a response to a person that wanted freeware to capture
what was NOT visible, as in a browser when the page is too long to fit
the screen. Of course, PrintScreen won't do that.
PS he is crazy. Always has been. You must be new here.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-16 19:24:45 UTC
Post by Shadow
PS he is crazy. Always has been. You must be new here.
Should I take your comments if not commands seriously? We are NOT
business partners nor military affiliates. :)
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-05-17 04:59:45 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
I use Irfanview which would be free if I did not have to pay for
electricity.
Peter Jason
2017-05-17 21:53:41 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Windows comes with screen capture function. You do NOT need to pay. You
do NOT need to hunt for a freeware.
1. Click on the window you wanna capture
2. Press <ALT> + <PrintScreen> to copy it to the clipboard
3. Open Paint
4. Press <CTRL>+<V> to paste from clipboard
To capture the whole desktop, press <PrintScreen> only in step 2.
I don't wanna argue with purists if not extremists on whether Paint is
freeware, because you need to buy Windows to have it.
And to use Windows, you need a computer, which requires electricity.
There is definitely no free electricity.... unless you got a paranormal
engine... ;)
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).

Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".

Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.

Done.

("Save as Image" if required)
Good Guy
2017-05-17 22:31:29 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
("Save as Image" if required)
What is wrong with the "Snipping Tool
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots>".
It is available in Windows 7 upwards and old habits needs to change.
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Peter Jason
2017-05-18 01:17:22 UTC
Post by Good Guy
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
("Save as Image" if required)
What is wrong with the "Snipping Tool
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots>".
It is available in Windows 7 upwards and old habits needs to change.
Too many steps for some uses.
eg from IE11 screen

1/ PrtSc
2/ PDF from clipboard (AcrobatX)
3/ Crop tool, to select area.
4/ CtrlS to save.

If downloading pages from a book, the "Acrobat save" allows subsequent
OCR and page consolidation ito a single monograph.
This is best for numerous repetitive tasks.
Lucifer Morningstar
Better than that use Irfanview crop tool to select the desired area.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-05-18 10:09:40 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Just use "PrintScreen" (PrtSc).
Then open Acrobat & "Create PDF from clipboard".
Then use the Crop tool to select the desired area.
Done.
Paint is distributed with all copies of Window$. Why bother with PDF?
Chad
2017-05-22 00:01:13 UTC
Wow. I think I learned this during the first week of my Introduction to Computer Programming class back in 2001.